IPAN – who we are
IPAN is the short form name of the Intellectual Property Awareness Network. IPAN is an independent, not for profit, charitable company, limited by guarantee working to improve understanding of patents, trademarks, designs, copyright and other intellectual property (IP) rights and their value to society, focusing its activities on the Education, Finance and Economics, and Parliamentary sectors. IPAN does not lobby for any particular sector or IP viewpoint and does not carry out any marketing.
IPAN is committed to protecting the privacy of individuals. We will keep your data private and use it only for the purposes set out in this document and in accordance with all applicable laws concerning the protection of personal information, protecting and respecting your privacy.
What information we hold about you
Depending on the type of relationship that we have with you, we may hold any or all of the following:
- Email address
- Telephone numbers
- Bank account details
- Date of birth
We hold only the information about you that we need to be able to carry out our network activities and fulfil our corporate responsibilities.
How we collect the information
We collect information about you in a number of ways:
- Information that you give us, for example when you join as a member, attend one of our events, fill in a form on our website, supply us or otherwise communicate with us as part of our day to day business and network activities.
- Information that is given to us by third parties, for example by your employer.
When you visit our website, we may automatically collect the following information:
- Technical information including the type of web browser and operating system you use when looking at our site.
- The Internet Protocol address of the computer you use to connect to the internet.
- User interaction information including content and features that you click on and view.
How we use the information
Depending on the type of relationship that we have with you, we use the information to:
- Communicate with you
- Transact with you
- Comply with our legal obligations
- Send you information about our forthcoming events or other generic information relating to IPAN’s aims and objectives
Our lawful basis for collecting, holding and processing your information
Depending on the type of relationship that we have with you, our lawful basis for collecting, holding and processing your information is one of:
- Legal obligation
- Legitimate interest
- Your specific consent
Where we have a legitimate interest in contacting you and holding your information, it is because we require to do this to be able to carry out one or more of our network activities or corporate responsibilities, for example, communicating with our members and with non-members who have indicated they wish to be involved in IPAN activities.
Who we share the information with
Depending on the relevant relationship that we have with you, for example, as a member or non-member wishing to be involved in IPAN activities, we may share your information with certain third parties. These may include:
- Partner organisations in events we run that you are attending, including the Intellectual Property Office (IPO) and the Knowledge Transfer Network (KTN) and venues where such events are to be held.
- If we are required by law to do so.
We will not share your information with third parties unless we have a specific legitimate interest to do so to be able to properly carry out our network activities or corporate responsibilities. We will never share your information with third parties for marketing purposes.
How long we will hold your information for
Where there is a statutory obligation for the length of time we need to retain your information, we will abide by that. In all other instances we will retain your information for as long as there is a business need.
Access to your information and correction
You have a right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you. If you would like a copy of some or all of your personal information, please email or write to us using the contact details below. We want to make sure that your personal information is accurate and up to date. You may ask us to correct or remove information that you think is inaccurate.
We take the security of data very seriously. If you would like further information on how we maintain the security of your information, please email or write to us using the contact details below.
How to contact us
You can write to us at IPAN, c/o CIPA, 2nd Floor Halton House, 20-23 Holborn, London EC1N 2JD
Or Email us at mailto:email@example.com
 Registered in England no. 07693250, with registered office at c/o CIPA, 2nd Floor, Halton House, 20-23 Holborn, London EC1N 2JD.